I have to say that my family really, really enjoyed this sandwich, it's sweet, spicy, salty, crunchy, creamy, and tangy all wrapped up in chewy Ciabatta. Both the sweet and spicy can be altered to your taste, it's just a matter of adjusting two ingredients... the pure maple syrup and the Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. You can turn the volume up or down on either. I'll be sharing what worked for us :)
This Sandwich consists of three components (don't panic, they're all super easy
- 1). The Sweet and Spicy Pork Carnitas
- 2). The Crunchy Rainbow Slaw
- 3). The Garnishes
Everything is cooked in one pot, you need one bowl for the slaw, and I'll even give you a great suggestion of what to do with the leftovers (if you have any :)
|Click on picture to see it enlarged|
- Ingredients for Sweet & Spicy Carnitas
- 1) 16 ounces of Cooked Carnitas Fried Pork (I've seen this at both my local grocery store, and at my membership warehouse store)
- 2). 1 Cup of Roasted bell pepper & Chipotle Sandwich spread, with 2 tablespoons reserved for slaw I saw 3 brands of this at my local grocery store, pick your favorite
- 3). 1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 4). 2 Tablespoons Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- 5). 1 Italian Ciabatta Baguette
|Just starting to brown the meat|
Add the Carnitas Meat to a Medium to Large dutch oven or heavy skillet. Brown on medium heat and use two forks to pull the meat apart.
|After ingredients have been added|
Once the meat has browned, turn the heat to low and add the Pure Maple Syrup, the Sandwich Spread (reserving 2 Tablespoons for the slaw), and the Sriracha Chili Sauce. Stir until combined and warm through. Turn off heat and cover until your ready to assemble the Sandwiches.
Rainbow Slaw Ingredients
- 1). 12 ounces of Rainbow Slaw Mix found in the fresh produce section
- 2). 2/3 Cup Crema Mexicana
- 3). 3 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 4). The reserved 2 Tablespoons Bell Pepper and Chipotle Sandwich Spread
- 5). 1-2 Tablespoons Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce 1 tablespoon gives it a little kick, 2 gives it a good kick ;)
- 6). 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 7). 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground peppercorns
|Finished Rainbow Slaw|
Gently toss all ingredients together, that's it! Don't you love it?
1). Sliced vine ripened tomatoes
2). Queso Fresco Mexican Cheese, crumbled
3). Fresh Cilantro Leaves
To assemble the Sandwiches Cut an 18 inch Ciabatta Baguette into 3-4 sections (this depends on how hungry you are and how many people you need to serve ;)
slice the way you would a hot dog bun, I found leaving the bottom closed made for a much easier eating experience, and less dripping.
Fill your rolls about 1/3 full of the Sweet & Spicy Carnitas
Fill about another 1/3 with the Rainbow Slaw
Top with sliced tomatoes, Queso Fresco, and Cilantro leaves.
So what did I do with the leftovers? Honestly, if I hadn't set some aside there wouldn't have been any :) The next day I used the meat to make a delicious Quesadilla with a side of Rainbow Cole Slaw and it was delicious!
Don't forget to check out http://www.purecanadamaple.com/ for some wonderfully delicious ideas.