Most of you know that I belong to a wonderful Community called The Real Women of Philadelphia. Right now they are conducting their casting call for next years hosts. I must confess, I would LOVE to be the Dessert Host :))
I wanted to share with you my first entry into the dessert category. I was so happy with how the recipe turned out, I hope you enjoy it. I have to tell you that adding the Philadelphia Cream Cheese to this mousse gave it a creaminess and richness that really puts it over the top :) I will definitely make this recipe again and again:)
This is a take on a delicious retro comfort food, banana pudding. My grandma always made this for me and I still love it! With the help of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, this recipe kicks up banana pudding to a french pastry status and yet is so simple to make. If you like banana pudding, your going to LOVE this dessert:)
- 4 ounce(s) of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 17.3 ounce package of puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 2/3 cup(s) of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp. of Finely minced orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. of water
- 1 3.4 ounce package of Banana Cream Instant Pudding
- 1 tsp. of Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup(s) of Orange juice
- 1 cup(s) of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 cup(s) of Fresh Sliced Strawberries
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 1 11.75 Ounce Jar of Strawberry Ice Cream Topping (the kind with strawberries in the sauce)
- 12 whole fresh strawberries
- Pre- heat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- unfold your puff pastry, you will notice that is is folded into thirds. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut the sheet in half, and then follow the lines so you have 6 rectangles. Do this with both sheets to make 12 rectangles.
- With a fork beat together the egg and water. Brush the pastry with egg wash and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large mixing bowl, add Philadelphia Cream Cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Beat until completely creamed and smooth (there should be no lumps)
- Add orange zest, orange juice, vanilla, and banana pudding mix to cream cheese mixture beat this on med for 2-3 minutes until mixture thickens.
- When pastry shells are finished cool them on a rack or cool plate. Once they
- Beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form and gently fold into banana pudding mixture. Set in refrigerator until ready.
- To make strawberry sauce place the strawberry ice cream topping in the blender, blend until smooth.
- Push strawberry sauce through a strainer, or sieve, and put in a condiment bottle with a pointed tip.
- To assemble lay out your pastry top and bottom. Slice one layer of the ripe banana
- Pipe or spoon mousse on top of banana
- Dust top of pastry with powdered sugar and pipe, or spoon about 1 teaspoon of the mousse on top of that. This will hold the whole strawberry and a sprig of fresh mint (optional)
If you would like to see a video tutorial on how to make this recipe, here is the linkhttp://www.realwomenofphiladelphia.com/user/recipe/banana-orange-mousse-in-pastry-w-strawberry-sauce